Re: Oooh, I think I did a bad thing....

From: Tom Remisoski <remisosk>
Date: 1995/07/19

kristoff_at_baseware.com wrote:
>Hi Everyone!
>
>I'm am VERY new to Oracle, so bear with me as I phrase my question. I have a development-only database on Oracle 7.1,
>running on Digital UNIX (OSF/1) v3.2. THERE ARE NO BACKUPS OF THE DATA (no one is willing to pay for TBU's). I
>was installing a product which installed its own tablespaces, etc. I inadvertantly deleted the data files from the Unix
>prompt. Now, I cannot startup the database in SQL*DBA because of the missing data files. Is there any way to bring up
>the database without these datafiles? I'm willing to sacrifice them, for now.
>
>Please, please don't tell me than I'm screwed without them. After all of the glorious things I've been told about Oracle, two small
>tablespaces can't invalidate an entire database, can they??

Try this. It seemed to work on my test database.

$ sqldba lmode=y

SQLDBA> connect internal
SQLDBA> startup nomount
SQLDBA> alter database mount exclusive;
SQLDBA> alter datafile 'xxx' offline drop;
SQLDBA> alter datafile 'yyy' offline drop;
SQLDBA> alter database open;
SQLDBA> drop tablespace 'zzz';
SQLDBA> drop tablespace 'www';
SQLDBA> exit

With any luck, you should be running at this point. ;)

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Remisoski                                (remisosk_at_forklift.mi04.zds.com)
Database Analyst                                (T.Remisoski_at_zds.com)
Zenith Data Systems