Re: Question regarding rollback segment

From: Parris Geiser <parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com>
Date: 1995/07/18

Thomas J Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
> parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com (Parris Geiser) wrote:

> >William,
> > The fact that your MAXEXTENTS is 505 indicates to me that there
> > is a misunderstanding on your part regarding extents. So, to be
> > sure your database is created properly (along with your tables)
> > it would be helpful to supply the exact parameters that you are
> > using.
> > parris geiser

> Why does that indicate a misunderstanding on his part? If they are using an 8k
> block size, I believe they will get 510 or so extents on that particular system.
> Maxextents varies by platform (i know that 510 max with 8k block size on a
> Pyramid for example works just fine).

> Using a 16k block size would result in even more. The number of extents allowed
> in a table is a function of the block size the database was created with.

> >William D. Hankard (wdh_at_epsilon.com) wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> We are running Oracle 7.1.6 on an HP 9000 T500 running
> >> HP-UX 9.04

> >> Here is the problem we are having; our rollback table

The reason that I believe this is that we are currently working on the exact same platform. The blocksize for the T500 is 2K. Oracle recommends that the database block size be the same size. So, I would suggest that he try that.

                parris Received on Tue Jul 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message