Re: VB and Oracle

From: Steve Yam <syam_at_axionet.com>
Date: 1995/06/14

In article <3rl3hn$ria_at_bass.hooked.net>, jkbrophy_at_bass.hooked.net says...

>I'd like to build an app using:
>
>VB
>ODBC
> <---------------------------What goes in here? SQLNET?
>Communicating over TCP/IP
>to Oracle running on an HP
>
>I (obviously) don't fully understand how to put an ODBC/Oracle app up
 under
>windows. My transactions to the database are conceptually simple, but I
 am
>concerned about the layers beneath the application.
>
>I have heard that SQLNET is a pig that runs in real mode only. True?
>
>Any words of wisdom?
>
>Thanks!
>
>John
Roughly, you are right. In detail, it is

VB/ODBC/ORAWIN31.DLL,SQLWIN31.DLL/Sqlnet/TCP/IP --> your server.

Sqlnet is big but it is a must unless you consider other product like SQLLINK which is claimed better than SQLNET.

SQLNET Ver 1.6.. support virtual mode but only one VB application. Other older version supports Protected mode rather than real mode.

Sqlnet Ver 2.1 supports virtual mode with multiple applications. But it seems too far for you now. Sqlnet ver 2.1 needs a lot of planning and administration.

Steve Yam. Received on Wed Jun 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message