Re: Warning about null and open question to Oracle

From: Mike Kohut, NorthwesTel <mkohutnw_at_yknet.yk.ca>
Date: 1995/06/14

John Jones <john_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu> wrote:
> ...I look for ways to cut down on typing as much as possible. I
> just think that NOTHING should be equal to NOTHING...

The operations in a relational database are based on mathematical set theory. The idea that NULL is not equal to NULL is very consistent with the thinking of pure mathematicians as well. I took quite a bit of pure math in university, because Computer Science happened to be a deparatment of the Math Faculty at the University of Waterloo. To me, the way that Oracle treats nulls is completely natural and sensible. I would definitely recommend that anyone who wants to study relational databases should take a few pure math courses, especially set theory. Received on Wed Jun 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message