Re: Problems installing Oracle v7.1.4..

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/06/12

pdhandap_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu (PRAVEEN) wrote:
>Hi,
>
> We are currently trying to install Oracle v7.1.4 on SunOS v5.3, but have
> run into a lot of problems.
>
> First, we would like to know if users already existing on the system
> could start using oracle without havoing to create a new oracle account
> for each of the users. We read about the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX but did not
> what files to update to allow this feature.

No, even if you use OS authentication, you still need to set up accounts in Oracle itself. The default prefix is 'OPS$', e.g. a user ad1mer would need to be set up in Oracle as ops$ad1mer. This facility only allows users to log on without supplying a separate Oracle username/password (assuming a host based login). Be careful using this if you also plan on using Sql*Net as if you use REMOTE_OS_AUTHENTICATION (sp?) you could be in big trouble (like, I set up a Unix _at_ called sys, then Sql*Net to your machine....).

Your best bet would be to write a shell script that processed the contents of /etc/passwd and just built a bunch of Oracle logins for the users you want to set up.

> There are a lot of problems we have now, but if somebody could help us
> with this problem, it would be of a great help.
> Thanx in advance.
> Manoj.
> cs_mks_at_cs4.lamar.edu

Cheers.
Martin. Received on Mon Jun 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message