Re: Forms 4.5 vs Powerbuilder

From: Richard A. Wark <warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 1995/06/12

I must add that mileage varies in the connection of PB to Oracle. Your example works fine, provided you are given conditions where nothing ever fails and you don't need a password. During the development in our shop, we've done fairly extensive work with _both_ tools and I now lean towards Oracle Forms 4.5.

// set database prefs.

sqlca.dbms = "OR7"
sqlca.servername= "_at_T:machinename/1525:instanceid"

// get username/password from signon

Sle_user.SelectText(1, len(Sle_user.Text)) sqlca.logid=Sle_user.selectedtext()
sle_pass.SelectText(1, len(Sle_pass.Text)) sqlca.logpass=Sle_pass.SelectedText()

connect;
if sqlca.sqldbcode <> 0 then

   MessageBox("SQL ERROR", Sqlca.SqlErrText) else

   openwithparm (w_screencalled,"ParameterSentToScreen")

        // Close(Parent)
end if

--Then on the windows itself:
// set our Transaction Object.

dw_DataWindowName.SetTransObject ( sqlca )

The religious war that gets fought between users of the two tools is pointless, each works out better for different programmer backgrounds, application development projects, backend DBMSs, etc. In short what works for you may not work for everyone. However, the more information and examples people making choices have, the more likely they will be to make good choices. It seems unfortunate that the Sybase-PowerSoft purchase will no doubt make PowerBuilder less Oracle friendly. (Can you say "PowerSwitch")

For what its worth...

Richard A. Wark                  warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil
Computer Sciences Corporation
San Antonio, TEXAS

--My opinion is just that. Received on Mon Jun 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message