Re: Problems installing Oracle v7.1.4..

From: Frank Kuijten <fkuyt_at_iaehv.nl>
Date: 1995/06/07

In article <3r29cs$mue_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu> pdhandap_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu (PRAVEEN) writes:
>From: pdhandap_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu (PRAVEEN)
>Subject: Problems installing Oracle v7.1.4..
>Date: 6 Jun 1995 13:13:32 -0600

>Hi,

> We are currently trying to install Oracle v7.1.4 on SunOS v5.3, but have
> run into a lot of problems.

> First, we would like to know if users already existing on the system
> could start using oracle without havoing to create a new oracle account
> for each of the users. We read about the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX but did not
> what files to update to allow this feature.

I assume that with 'users already existing on the system', you mean users having an unix account.

Since Oracle has an independent security mechanism, you'll have to define your users in Oracle too.
You can use the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX parameter to ease the access for your users. If set properly, your users can access the database with a command like 'sqlplus /', meaning they don't have to type in their userid/password. This works only on so-called secure systems like unix (not on windows).

The default value of OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is 'OPS$', so if you have a unix account named 'johndoe', your Oracle account has to be 'OPS$JOHNDOE'. You can change the value of OS_... to anything, even an empty string. However, if OS_.... is 'OPS$', you'll have the choice if you want to log in with 'sqlplus /' (from unix) or 'sqlplus un/pw' (from windows) or both at the same time. If you set it any other value you can have only one of these options, depending on how you created the user. So, if you're going to use both unix and windows access, stick with 'OPS$'.

The OS_.... parameter is set in the 'init<ORACLE_SID>.ora file, located in the '<ORACLE_HOME>/dbs' directory.

> There are a lot of problems we have now, but if somebody could help us
> with this problem, it would be of a great help.

Well, just keep on asking. The worst that can happen is that you'll get an answer. :>)

> Thanx in advance.

> Manoj.
> cs_mks_at_cs4.lamar.edu

Greetings,
Frank Received on Wed Jun 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message