Re: Oracle Career question

From: Ganesh Puranik <surya_at_usa.net>
Date: 1995/05/31

> chet writes:
> a) What level of experience would be considered marketable once I learn the Oracle DBA trade? (i.e., Would I be laughed at if I
went job hunting with 2 years of exp. or would I need to have a few more years of seasoning?)

Depending on the complexity of the project you work on you can master skills early/late. I do think knoledge of some kind of oracle tool programming as well as some extent of data modelling and analysis experience is essential to become a good DBA. You can become proficient in 2 years if you work at it.

> b) What kind of salary could I demand once I get a "marketable" level of knowledge and experience? I live in the northeast Florida
area if this makes a difference.

In the range of $45 to $75 per hour, depending on your skills and experience and location. Various factors may increase your marketability depending on your customers: a) size of database, b) distributed-ness of the application, c) experience in development project v/s maintenance project, d)... etc.

Ganesh Puranik
Consultant, Surya Systems, Inc. Received on Wed May 31 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message