Re: HELP: PC Oracle download from web. Not.

From: Jim Hubbard <jhubbard_at_iquest.net>
Date: 1995/05/31

<3qblem$eqk_001_at_dialnet35.hti.net> <D9C0Av.BJy_at_indirect.com> Organization: IQuest Network Services

In article <D9C0Av.BJy_at_indirect.com>, noah_at_indirect.com (Noah Monsey) says:

>alspaugh_at_hti.net (BirdMan) wrote:
>
>>In article <3q9s68$787_at_feenix.metronet.com>,

 the
 ( snip
>(snip)
>
>An easy way to download the files, is to copy them to your
>Internet service provider first.
>
>Log on to their Unix machine via telnet of a shell account.
>The ftp to ftp.oracle.com, then copy all the files that you
>want. If you want to download them all at one time,
>If you are using a shell account, you can put the file in a
>subdirectory then use sz or some othe zmodem to transfer
>them back to your pc. Once they are on your service
>providers machine you can also log in to your account
>using ftp.
>
>It seems to me that transfering large files to the
>ISP first works well. If you consider everything
>that could go wrong with a transfer involving multiple
>pieces of equipment (routers, bridges, multiple hosts,
>etc . . .) it makes sense to do most of the transfer
>between two high speed hosts. Then you only have
>to deal with a few pieces of equipment during
>the final slow transfer to your pc.
>
>========= ========= ========= ========= =========
>Noah Monsey noah_at_indirect.com
>========= ========= ========= ========= =========
>The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.
>Oracle Master Database Administration, April 1992
>Oracle Master Application Development, April 1992

Yep. I thought that might work too. FTP from host to host hung up at almost the exact same place. Interesting problem. At my location, I've narrowed it down to a certain provider - at least with a very small sample, i.e., several people using the same provider as I am had the same difficulty. I asked a few people using different providers to try it and they had no problem. The provider I'm using is by far the largest in our city using several Sun/Unix setups. Who knows.

Many thanks to everyone responding.

Jim

--
jhubbard_at_iquest.net                        Taped Editions
                              http://www.iquest.net/te/audiobooks.html