Re: Visionware ODBC driver

From: Michael Dosik <mdosik_at_comet.pacersoft.com>
Date: 1995/05/22

In article <jensr.39.2FBB1AEA_at_hrp.no>, jensr_at_hrp.no (Jens Roynlid) writes:
|> From: jensr_at_hrp.no (Jens Roynlid)
|> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
|> Subject: Visionware ODBC driver
|> Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 10:01:14 GMT
|>
|> We are currently evaluating the Visionware ODBC-driver for Oracle 7. So far we
|> have found the driver to be both reliable abd very fast, but we are
|> experiencing problems attaching Oracle tables to an Access 2.0 database. The
|> problem only occurs for tables with a name containing an underscore (i.e.
|> h_test).
|>
|> Has anybody experienced similar problems? Other experiences (good/bad) with
|> this or similar ODBC-drivers for Oracle?
|>

|> Thanks,
|>
|> Jens R., OECD Halden Reactor Project
|> jensr_at_hrp.no

I think this is an Access 2.0 problem and not a problem with Visionware's ODBC driver. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to the ODBC spec, the underscore character can be used a wildcard. I think it is up to the ODBC app to query the drivers to see if it is being used as such or not.

Although I haven't seen this problem with Access 1.0, I have seen it with Brio's BrioQuery and MS-Query 1.0 on the Mac with another ODBC driver (warning, shameless plug) called ODBC/DAL from Independence Technologies, Inc and Pacer Software, where I work.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Mike Dosik

Michael Dosik                 /\         "Imitation is the sincerest form of
Software Engineer            /  \  /     having no imagination."
AGE Logic, Inc.                  \/                         -- I copied this
Pacer Products Division
Internet:  mdosik_at_pacersoft.com          Voice: (508) 898-3300
AppleLink: PACER                         FAX:   (508) 366-1356