Re: MFC-Oracle ODBC oddities

From: Jens Roynlid <jensr_at_hrp.no>
Date: 1995/05/19

In article <3pcuja$jp1_at_hal.cs.depaul.edu> gary_at_cs.depaul.edu (Gary Weinstein) writes:
>From: gary_at_cs.depaul.edu (Gary Weinstein)
>Subject: MFC-Oracle ODBC oddities
>Date: 17 May 1995 13:44:10 GMT

>Since I don't have a 32-bit Oracle ODBC driver (is there such a thing?),
>I had to use the 16-bit version of Visual C++. However, the program runs
>just fine on my NT machine at work. However, when I try to run the
>program on a Windows for WorkGroups machine, it GPFs as soon as I click
>on the OK button in the Oracle ODBC login dialog box. But I can use
>Access to get at the Oracle database without any problem, so I'm inclined
>to think that there is some MFC problem.

>Has anyone come across either the GPF problem or the cursor problem? If
>so, any hints, help, pointers to answers in FAQs, etc. would be greatly
>appreciated.

>By the way, I'm using version 1.52 of Visual C++, with version 2.52 of
>MFC and I have installed the patches to the 2.52 MFC libraries/DLLs.

Which version of the Oracle ODBC driver are you using? The newest Oracle driver (which is included in the MS ODBC Driver Pack 2.0) fixes the GPF problems of the earlier versions.

I don't know of any 32-bit drivers for
Oracle - I think it's some strategic decision in Oracle to prefer their own proprietary Oracle Objects (which remains 16-bit) to ODBC, hence the lack of a 32-bit ODBC driver.