Re: Oracle on PC (information needed)

From: Noah Monsey <noah_at_indirect.com>
Date: 1995/05/21

etlwihe_at_etlxdmx.ericsson.se ( Wei He (martletts) ) wrote:

>Hi

> I wonder if there is a trial version ORACLE for PC
> available. What I want is a software by which I
> can learn SQL, SQL*PLUS and SQL*FORM. I
> only need to create some small tables, such as
> emp, dept etc. I guess a full version ORACLE
> would be too expensive and not necessary for
> such purpose.

>Any information would be highly appreciated.

I recommend "Personal Oracle" which is available for several different platforms. An evaluation copy is available from Oracle's web site ( http://www.oracle.com ) or on a cd. The cd copy costs $15 for shipping and handling. It does not come with any development tools ike SQL*Forms but it does have SQL*Plus.

They were having a limited time special offer for a while, and I don't know what it costs now. Oracle has a direct marketing division, and they have a catalog. If you call information for 800 numbers they might have the phone number for Oracle Direct. In my not so humble opinion Oracle does not do a good job marketing their pc products. Oracle Direct is the best way to get info from Oracle. Before Oracle had its web site, and I was researching wether or not to buy personal Oracle, I talked to Oracle Direct. They did mail me a bunch of info including some colorfull brochures.

Now that they have the web site, it seems to be the best way to get info about Oracle's products. I also think that you can order stuff directly through their web site

  • ========= ========= ========= ========= Noah Monsey noah_at_indirect.com
  • ========= ========= ========= ========= The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.
  • ========= ========= ========= ========= Oracle Master Database Administration April 1992 Oracle Master Application Development April 1992