Need a GUI frontend for ad hoc queries

From: Steven Bush <ez005193_at_dale.ucdavis.edu>
Date: 1995/05/16

We have developed a multitable relational database on a Unix platform using Oracle7. The database seems to be in good shape, but now we are in need of a front-end to properly utilize our months of work.

Currently we are experimenting with using MS Access as an ad hoc query tool but have discovered several performance limitations. Although Access allows attachment of tables and pass-thru mode to send SQL statements directly to Oracle, this method eliminates the "layman" element. Whereas if we maintain the ability to generate graphical queries with Access' query builder/wizards the performance is cut down by as much as 2000% (a 1 second query taking 20 seconds to execute)

What we are looking for is a commercial product that allows:

  i.  graphical ad hoc queries for use by people unfamiliar with SQL
 ii.  connection to Oracle7 via an IP/TCP connection
iii.  same or nearly same performance as SQL statements sent directly to
      Oracle (as with Access' passthru mode)

Any suggestions?

--Steve Bush (ez005193_at_dale.ucdavis.edu) "There was a point to this narrative, but it has presently escaped  the chronicler's mind." --Douglas Adams Received on Tue May 16 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message