Re: Need a GUI frontend for ad hoc queries

From: <schapman_at_schapman.pdial.interpath.net>
Date: 1995/05/25

> What we are looking for is a commercial product that allows:
> i. graphical ad hoc queries for use by people unfamiliar with SQL
> ii. connection to Oracle7 via an IP/TCP connection
> iii. same or nearly same performance as SQL statements sent directly to
> Oracle (as with Access' passthru mode)
>
> Any suggestions?

Let's not forget the low cost, non-commercial solution:

>>> delete boring commercials to sell unnecessary products to reap $$$ <<<

Buy Visual Basic 3.0, and the Oracle Objects for OLE, which is a Data Control just like VB's except that it grabs data MUCH FASTER. Throw some combo boxes on a form for table and column selection, throw some option buttons on the form for >, <, =, <>, etc., and throw a Truegrid on the form for browsing the query. You control which tables/columns the user can view, and you design how complex or simple you want the UI to be, based on your customers. Cost: $500, with no run-time distribution fees.

Steve Chapman

xxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxx  x       x  xxxxxxxxx   xxxxxxx