Oracle 7 Server weirdness

From: Kurt Adam <mage_at_vt.edu>
Date: 1995/05/15

        We began running Oracle here about six months ago, and I've had a few weird problems that I hope someone can shed some light on. The specs: Oracle 7.1.3 on a Sun Sparcstation 10.

    At least twice in the past couple of months, the archive process has decided that it had a problem archiving a log entry. This occurred while a long running process was in progress. Nothing I tried could unstop the archiver. Things tried include: manual archiving, stopping and starting the archive process, killing the archive process in a homicidal rage. I occasionally would get the archiver to say that the problems were gone and it had restarted, but then it would stop again as soon as it did a log switch.

    I'm getting lots of trace files and errors in the alert log that a dead dispatcher was found for network 'ipc'. The trace files say: ORA-00108: failed to set up dispatcher to accept connection asynchronously

    Also, I've had some real nasty problems with rollback segments, but I'll leave that for another day. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to mail at mage_at_vt.edu. Thanks.

--
mage_at_vt.edu (Kurt Adam)          WWW: http://www.vt.edu:10021/cns/mage/home.html

         "Future events such as these will affect you, in the future."
                                           - Criswell, Plan 9 From Outer Space