Re: Oracle 7 Server weirdness

From: <spook_at_clark.net>
Date: 1995/05/18

This sounds like you are archiving to a tape and the archiver has not finished writing that particular log and you are trying to re-use it. One solution is to create more members of the log file groups. Another is to archive to a different, faster media. (I am running 7.1.3 on a Sparcserver 1000 with Solaris 2.3 and have no problems of this nature at all.) Also, curious as to what your rollback problems may be.

Bruce Myers

Kurt Adam (mage_at_vt.edu) wrote:
: We began running Oracle here about six months ago, and I've had a few
: weird problems that I hope someone can shed some light on. The specs:
: Oracle 7.1.3 on a Sun Sparcstation 10.

: At least twice in the past couple of months, the archive process has decided
: that it had a problem archiving a log entry. This occurred while a long running
: process was in progress. Nothing I tried could unstop the archiver. Things
: tried include: manual archiving, stopping and starting the archive process,
: killing the archive process in a homicidal rage. I occasionally would get the
: archiver to say that the problems were gone and it had restarted, but then it
: would stop again as soon as it did a log switch.

: I'm getting lots of trace files and errors in the alert log that a dead
: dispatcher was found for network 'ipc'. The trace files say:
: ORA-00108: failed to set up dispatcher to accept connection asynchronously

: Also, I've had some real nasty problems with rollback segments, but I'll
: leave that for another day. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to mail
: at mage_at_vt.edu. Thanks.

: --
: mage_at_vt.edu (Kurt Adam) WWW: http://www.vt.edu:10021/cns/mage/home.html

: "Future events such as these will affect you, in the future."
: - Criswell, Plan 9 From Outer Space