Re: NULL behavior in ORACLE vs SYBASE

From: My-Phuong L Tran <mtran2_at_osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: 1995/05/10

In article <3odi96$qup_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com> roywagner_at_aol.com (Roy Wagner) writes:
>We just had an interesting discussion on a similar topic of NULLs and
>Oracle and MS Access.
>
>My tests on Oracle showed that you can do the following:
>
>INSERT INTO table VALUES (NULL);
>INSERT INTO table VALUES (''); <---- That's TWO SINGLE QUOTES.
>
>When tested for IS NULL both will be selected. When tested for = '', none
>will be selected. So an empty string is set equal to NULL. Also note that
>a string of ONE SPACE is stored as one space, one two TWO as two, etc.

Actually, if you follow the logic of this there apparently is no such value as ''. Oracle converts all inserted '' values to NULLs. Is there a way to get a '' into the database? This would be tested by differing select statements. Anyone?

Best,

Ted Karas Received on Wed May 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message