Re: NULL behavior in ORACLE vs SYBASE

From: Roy Wagner <roywagner_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/05/05

We just had an interesting discussion on a similar topic of NULLs and Oracle and MS Access.

My tests on Oracle showed that you can do the following:

INSERT INTO table VALUES (NULL);
INSERT INTO table VALUES (''); <---- That's TWO SINGLE QUOTES.

When tested for IS NULL both will be selected. When tested for = '', none will be selected. So an empty string is set equal to NULL. Also note that a string of ONE SPACE is stored as one space, one two TWO as two, etc.

  • Roy Wagner - "When driving my Miata, I always get to where I'm going before I want to stop driving it."