Re: How may idle user sessions be killed prior to a shutdown?

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1995/05/02

On 29 Apr 1995, Chris Hubble wrote:
> >As an alternate, I've examined doing kill sessions followed by shutdown
> >immediate which seems to do the trick. But I am wondering if just doing
> >a shutdown immediate would yield the same effect? Does the kill session
> >prior to the shutdown immediate buy me any additional graceful rollback
> >and protection of the idle users' data?
>
> If you are killing off user sessions, you may as well do a shutdown abort!
> This can be followed by startup then shutdown normal to allow necessary
> rollback. In my experience this is the usual approach prior to system backups.

WOA! STOP! A shutdown abort simply drops the instance right out from underneath the database. This is a very drastic approach.

Shutdown Immediate does give the user some warning and a little bit of grace. The rollback/commit finishes before the database is shut down. As for the original question, it sounds like the approach is a valid one.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Tue May 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message