Re: Read only database on CDROM

From: Nilo Segura <nilo_at_cern.ch>
Date: 1995/04/11

In article <3medjl$bno_at_nntp.interaccess.com>, random_at_psycfrnd.interaccess.com (Brett Neumeier) writes:
>91023629_at_brookes.ac.uk (featherstone paul g) writes:
>>our Finance dept wants to archive some data, and I would like to do it on a
>>CD ROM. Is it possible to just copy the DB files for Oracle 7.0 onto CD ROM,
>>and to have a SQL*Forms front end to access them?
>
> The problem with Oracle databases on read-only media is that the
>header for each data file contains a timestamp which is periodically
>updated by Oracle regardless of whether any transactions update the data
>in the file.
>
> I don't think there's any way to have a read-only Oracle database.

In 7.1 you can declare a tablespace as READ ONLY . This should allow you to place a tablespace in a CD-ROM. I did not though...

regards..

Nilo Segura Chinchilla                    *   e-mail nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
Computing and Network Division            *          nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
European Laboratory for Particle Physics  *   phone +41 +22 7674943
Geneva - Switzerland                      *

  "I am the one who steps from the shadows" - John Constantine