Re: Longest TAR Contest ( Now ORACLE Support)

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 1995/04/06

geoff_at_li-business.ab.ca (Geoff Coleman) writes:

>>                "1" My job is on the line--production system stopped working!

>	From the customers point of view "1" is a joke. Oracle support

> has this defined as "Databases Down" (ie. if you can get in from sqlplus
> you can't log it as "1"). The fact that there reporting tool doesn't add is
> not a "1" problem, in fact the highest they would log it was a "3" ( and yes it
> was a bug on all UNIX ports). At times this is a very frustrating definition.

That has not been my experience. I've had one or two occasions when my production system went down (or a 'critical' part of it), I called in and got the problem solved right away. The first time I reached an analyst and got a solution on the initial phone call, the 2nd time I had a callback from a person who knew JUST what I had to do within 30 minutes or so.

I reserve level 1 for REALLY serious problems, thank heavens I've not had many in the 2+ years we've had Oracle. (I've also had a couple of TAR's get accellerated to level 2 on the first call, and now make it a point of asking what the priority level is when I get the TAR #. I also make a point to ask the analyst if s/he is accepting responsibility for the TAR, that way I know SOMEONE has it in their queue.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.com, nolan_at_inetnebr.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)