Re: How to know what's in the Data Dictionary?

From: Dave Boswell <bd860_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/04/06

In a previous posting, John K Metzger (jmetzger_at_world.std.com) writes:
> I find myself thrust into being the stand-in dba for an Oracle 7.0
> database created a year or so ago by a person no longer around. I have no
> Oracle dba experience up to now, so please bear with me.
>
> I need to get a firm understanding of how the data files, tablespaces,
> etc are allocated, both to make sure we have enough room to grow and to
> make sure that the backup is being done properly. (You guessed it,
> nothing was adequately documented by the departed 'dba'.)
>
> I have thumbed through various manuals trying to find out how to do this
> without much success. I know that the information is in the data dictionary
> somewhere, but how to get it out? I've stumbled on the table (or is it a
> view) called 'dba_data_files' which appears to list the tablespace <-->
> datafile assignments. There must be more there somewhere.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction for this information? Or is
> there possibly a tool that analyses and maps out Oracle 7 databases
> automatically?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> John Metzger

You will find a list of all the database dictionary table in the back of the Administrator Manual. If this looks too confusing the book "Oracle 7.0 Administration and Management" by Ault has many useful scripts that will help get the info out. This book also gives explanations of some of the concepts is plainer language then some of the Oracle manuals. Dave Boswell. Received on Thu Apr 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message