Re: Text Searching in Oracle?

From: Eric D Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu>
Date: 1995/04/06

Michael G. Barbitta (michaelx_at_leland.stanford.edu) wrote:

: In article <3luvt9$q1d_at_ttis.thomtech.com> Dave H <dheissner_at_thomtech.com> writes:

: >From: Dave H <dheissner_at_thomtech.com>
: >Subject: Text Searching in Oracle?
: >Date: 5 Apr 1995 20:51:53 GMT

: >Are there any third-party products available which provide text search
: >capabilities for Oracle data? Has anyone does this and what would be
: >a good approach to take?

: >TIA

: Oracle is comming out with a text search application.  You might want to give
: them a call.  I spoke to a person from P.C. Week about it today.
:
: Michael G. Barbitta

Dealing with fields defined with the "long" data type is a specific problem. Oracle has a product called TextRetrieval, which may be based on a product/technology called Context. I got a big white paper about it a few years ago from the sales people at Oracle, and it looked pretty ugly (very complex, probably only suitable for big sites with really serious need for integration of a seperate document management system and an Oracle database). The old product only ran on VAX/VMS and other similar systems (no PC/LAN stuff, BOO HOO).

As mentioned in the above message and others, rumor has it that Oracle is coming out with a new version of this thing, or they are coming out with another product that has a similar name/function.

The main thing that I have gathered is that you are departing from the world of SQL/normalized data models/etc when you get develop a document/text management system inside a RDBMS environment!

I hope an expert or someone with experience using these tools will speak up with a clarification.

I'm pretty sure that there are other 3rd party products out there too. I have seen messages on the discussion groups related to image data being stored in fields defined with "raw" data types?

Sorry for the vagueness.

Any feedback is appreciated,

EP
Database/Network Technician
California State University, Sacramento

	sac50216_at_saclink.csus.edu
     or
	PierceED_at_csus.edu

cc: dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com (CDE2 Marketing God) Received on Thu Apr 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message