Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2

From: Bob Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1995/04/05

Subject: Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2 From: Daniel J. Ruiz, djruiz_at_amoco.com Date: Sun, 02 Apr 1995 07:31:11 -0500 (CDT) In article <3lrhle$l5t_at_tabloid.amoco.com> Daniel J. Ruiz, djruiz_at_amoco.com writes:

>We need to be able to extract data from an MVS DB2 database for a
>Powerbuilder/Oracle application we are writing. We've recently been
>debating whether it would be better to obtain the data by writing code
>on the MVS side and doing batch file transfers, or using EDA SQL to
>get at the data directly. As of yesterday, a new product has entered
>our debate... Oracle's Transparent Gateway for DB2. It is the first
>I've heard of the product, so I'm not sure of the details. Was
>wondering if there was anyone that might have had some experience with
>the product that would be willing to shed some light. Any information
>would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>--
>Dan Ruiz, Computer Applications, Whiting Refinery (MC 134), Amoco Oil
 Company
>Internet Address: djruiz_at_amoco.com, mhs!amoco!daniel_j_ruiz_at_attmail.com

We use it, and like it pretty well. It allows DB2 to participate in the SQL*Net network. So, you can access DB2 data through normal database links. If you have the distributed option, you can even push data into DB2 through a database link, or using the SQL*Plus command.

We use ACF2 as our MVS/DB2 security package. We had some fits getting the user exits to work properly so that transparent gateway connections were properly secured.

We position the product as an easy way to get small amounts of data from DB2 to ORACLE. Its performance is not stellar, so I would not recommend it if you are wanting to ship large tables (100's of megabytes or above).

Bob Swisshelm | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com | 317 276 5472 Eli Lilly and Company | Lilly Corporate Center | Indianapolis, IN 46285 Received on Wed Apr 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message