Re: Database trigger to start C program???

From: Carl Gohringer <cgohring_at_lucifer>
Date: 1995/03/29

mlmorin_at_primenet.com (Michelle Morin) writes:
: I need to develop an 'event-based' PRO*C program which will be started
: on a particular database event. Can I use Database triggers to call
: a PRO*C program? Is this possible? I also read about an Oracel Database
: package which supposedly allows for signals to be created. Are these signals
: able to be 'handled' by PRO*C programs? This is being developed
: on a Unix machine. Any suggestions are appreciated!
:
: Thanks,

You need to use DBMS_PIPE, which is a SYS owned package which allows you to send messages down a "pipe" between Oracle sessions. The trigger cannot explicitly start a C program, but what you can have is a C program already running(anywhere, on any machine), connected to the database in question, listening for a message on the pipe. The trigger can then invoke the DBMS_PIPE package to send a message down the pipe to the C program, instructing it to do whatever.

--
regards,
Carl