Re: Database trigger to start C program???

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/03/29

In article <mlmorin.17.000E6E59_at_primenet.com>, mlmorin_at_primenet.com (Michelle Morin) writes:
|> I need to develop an 'event-based' PRO*C program which will be started
|> on a particular database event. Can I use Database triggers to call
|> a PRO*C program? Is this possible? I also read about an Oracel Database
|> package which supposedly allows for signals to be created. Are these signals
|> able to be 'handled' by PRO*C programs? This is being developed
|> on a Unix machine. Any suggestions are appreciated!
|>
|> Thanks,
|>
|> Michelle
|> Michelle Morin Century Computer Consultants
|> Kansas City,MO skills: SAP R/2, APPC/LU6.2, CICS
|> mlmorin_at_primenet.com
|> Personal Web Site: http://www.primenet.com/~mlmorin/

Yep. There is a package called DBMS_PIPE which you can use for this. You can't call a C program from a trigger directly, but the trigger can send a message along a pipe and the already running C program can receive this message. Check out Appendix A of the Application Developer's Guide. Received on Wed Mar 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message