Re: Personal Oracle 7 & WIN 95

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 20 Mar 1995 18:45:48 GMT

In article <dbitting-2003950942370001_at_dbitting-powermac.us.oracle.com>, Doug Bitting <dbitting_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>This is incorrect. Personal Oracle7 is designed specifically to run with
>Win32S under Windows 3.1. The Installer is being nothing but protective
>and responsible here. If the Installer were to allow you to install
>Personal Oracle7 into an environment in which the database will not run
>(or is not certified to run), then the Installer would not be doing its
>job.

Sorry, but I've been using Oracle since 1985 and this is just more of the same nonsense I've gotten on a variety of similar issues. In fact, it is deja vu back to one of my first encounters with Oracle support around 1986 when they told me that they would not be willing to provide support because I was using a "non-certified" Intel box. So I copied the software to a an old clunky True Blue Intel, discovered the same bug (which was quite obviously software, not hardware) and was rewarded with an answer that it would be fixed in the next release.

Now, I admit that it is completely reasonable for Oracle to warn users that Win95 is not yet supported. But then perhaps the marketeers should stop advertising that it is Win95 ready?

I think it is worth noting that Microsoft is attempting to get feedback on Win95 and I can't think of a better way to test it out than loading Oracle and its client software. Not that I'm willing to spend my time on this.... :-)

>If you want to run Personal Oracle7 in any other configuration, then you
>are on your own. While you may not like that response, we cannot support
>an Operating System which is not production or which may change at any
>time with no notice.

I think I actually said this. Maybe you should read the article in its entirety before responding.

--
Jack F. Love