Re: strangeness: forms 4.5 long time to commit_form

From: Bill Pribyl <bill_at_datacraft.com>
Date: 20 Mar 1995 07:11:05 GMT

i previously wrote:

> has anyone else experienced extremely long commit times in a
> moderately complex form? the problem is with inserts and
> updates, not deletes. in our form it takes about 20 seconds to
> execute the commit_form built-in. although there is other
> transaction-time code, the slowdown is traceable to the
> commit_form. for comparison, doing the same insert/update from
> sqlplus is virtually instantaneous. the problem is NOT network
> speed.

..mea culpa, sort of. the problem was not in the commit_form built-in, it was actually in a pre-insert and pre-update trigger. the really interesting thing is, that we'd inserted some "message" statements that said "ok you are here..." at various points in the code, and the relative timing at which they appeared on the screen was completely misleading. we had also put in "syncronize" statements but still they appeared at intervals bearing virtually no correlation to the amount of time actually required to process the code.

the moral of the story is, don't debug performance problems using the "message" built-in in commit-time processing. we'd have been better off using the forms debugger, i think.

Bill Pribyl
bill_at_datacraft.com Received on Mon Mar 20 1995 - 08:11:05 CET

Original text of this message