Re: Oracle Datatypes Question

From: Kirk Bradley - Mainframe and Integration Technologies <kbradley_at_130.35.1.6>
Date: 10 Mar 1995 03:04:23 GMT

No wasted space cause we only store the needed digits so it doesn't always take 22 bytes to store a number.. just sometimes.Another good reason to give an exact precision for integers is if you end up storing a result of a calculation. Calculations always promote results to up to 38 digits of precision rather than following some arcane machine based rules. so storing 1/3 in NUMBER will result in the full 38 digits being stored on disk.

flemir_at_tdbank.ca wrote:
: I am also an Oracle newbie. I was under the impression that the Integer
: datatype was available only to be compatible with other relational
: databases such as DB2. I thought that Integer was stored in Oracle as
: NUMBER(38) and therefore, will waste space for small numbers. Is this still
: true? I had learned this from an Oracle 6 course and had assumed that it is
: still true with Oracle 7.0 which we are using here. >
:
:
: --
: Rosemary Fleming