Re: Which Development Platform???

From: Michael Pantaleano <mike.pantaleano_at_ab.com>
Date: 6 Mar 1995 12:45:05 GMT

Bill Ryan Writes:
> We have an application that was developed in Oracle 6.0, Forms 3.0 and
> ReportWriter 1.1. We have commited to upgrading to Oracle 7.1 and want to
> move our app to a GUI platform. We must be able to port our app to various
> hardware platforms (Sun, HP, PC, MAC) and operating systems (X/Open, Motif,
> MS Windows, Apple Windows).

Interesting question, here's my take on it: We develop on MOTIF machines, and they add super stability, and above all, the ability to have mulitple runtimes and designers running at the same time, as well as UNIX specific qualities like being able to 'display back' and remote logins to other developers machines, etc. HOWEVER, there are issues such as FONTS, FONT SIZE, COLOR MAPPING, BUTTON SIZE and BOILERPLATE IMAGES that will crop up when porting to Windows and Mac machines. Actually these issues are true for the Windows->MOTIF port also, but in reverse fashion. We've had the most transparent port in the MOTIF to Mac conversion (and the Mac->MOTIF port).
Oracle Corp. (as per their support staff) suggests developing on Windows, and porting from there. The Windows software that I have come in contact with, as well as the Windows platform in general) is MUCH more volatile and can involve reboots and many exits of Windows. Adding in the fact that the Windows platform seems to be Oracle's biggest concern (all software comes out for Windows first) most likely due to the proliferation of Windows in the workplace, this is indeed a difficult choice. You can reply to me personally for more of my opinions/experience.

MJP
mike.pantaleano_at_ab.com
The opinions related above are not those of the Allen-Bradley Co. or Rockwell International Inc. Received on Mon Mar 06 1995 - 13:45:05 CET

Original text of this message