Re: Storing Long Raw data in Oracle

From: Tony Noble <cz0763%zip02_at_mt.gov>
Date: 21 Feb 1995 16:25:08 GMT

In article <D44Bou.54v_at_crash.cts.com>, gagnon_at_dsr.com says...

>I need to keep some bitmaps (of CAD drawings) in an Oracle 7.1.3
>database, running on an HP-UX machine. I've looked at using the long
>raws, but have had problems with the insert/select of the data. I am
>also considering putting the bitmaps in individual files on disk, and
>just keeping a filename reference to them in the database.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with manipulation of long
>raws that they would be willing to share?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Lorrie Gagnon
>gagnon_at_dsr.com

I have successfully used a long raw to store bitmaps (Windows 3.1 bmp's) in an oracle database on Netware 4.x. I was forced to use Powerbuilder, since Forms 4.0 has a limit of 64k on the size of the bitmap. I have heard a rumour that Forms 4.5 has corrected the problem, but I haven't had the opportunity to verify.

Anyway, it has been my experience that the problems with bitmaps are in the presentation software and not in the database engine.

I hope this is of some help

TN Received on Tue Feb 21 1995 - 17:25:08 CET

Original text of this message