Re: Storing Long Raw data in Oracle

From: <clemnet_at_online.tmx.com.au>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 22:06:15 GMT

  cz0763%zip02_at_mt.gov (Tony Noble) writes:  In article <D44Bou.54v_at_crash.cts.com>, gagnon_at_dsr.com says...

>I need to keep some bitmaps (of CAD drawings) in an Oracle 7.1.3
>database, running on an HP-UX machine. I've looked at using the long
>raws, but have had problems with the insert/select of the data. I am
>also considering putting the bitmaps in individual files on disk, and
>just keeping a filename reference to them in the database.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with manipulation of long
>raws that they would be willing to share?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Lorrie Gagnon
>gagnon_at_dsr.com

I have used LONG RAW's to store bitmaps and complex objects for our OO development environment. They work very well. The problem is the restrictions that are placed upon columns of this type. My main gripe is that I can't use it in a subquery of an insert statement. For example, if I wanted to copy the contents of a table to another table with the same definition I could not use the following statement:

        insert into table x select * from table y

(Sure I could use Pro*C or Pro*Cobol to perform this function but...)

SQL*Plus isn't exactly friendly when dealing with LONG RAW's either.

It seems strange to me that given the ability to be able to store data in LONG RAW columns and also the fact that the requirement to store such data as images, sound, video, complex objects etc. is increasing (at least at my site it is) that there are so many restrictions.

Enrico Received on Sun Feb 26 1995 - 23:06:15 CET

Original text of this message