Re: renaming the system tablespace datafile

From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 16 Feb 1995 17:59:31 GMT

mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com writes:

> Try:
>
> sql>alter tablespace System offline;
> sql>alter tablespace System
> rename datafile 'drive:\path\OldDataFile.dbf' to 'drive:\path\'NewDataFile.dbf'
>
> after you have done the alter TS command you will have to rename/copy the file
> using your standard operating system commands to match the drive,path and
> filename used in the above statement. Finally, you will have to alter your
> tablespace to bring it back on-line.

Unfortunately, although the Oracle documentation says that the SYSTEM tablespace datafile can be movde, this method does not work since the SYSTEM tablespace cannot be taken offline. I have been told that the only viable option is to create a new database instance with the file where I want it and then to import a full database export of the original database.

That will work. Wish there was a better way - I am thankful that I am intending to move the system tablespace to clean up the directory structure and not because I need to get it on a different drive. Received on Thu Feb 16 1995 - 18:59:31 CET

Original text of this message