Re: renaming the system tablespace datafile

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 15:39:53 +0000

In article <3hubs0$13s3_at_mdnews.btv.ibm.com> mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com writes:

: >I have an ORACLE 7.0.x database running and am attempting to rename the
: >system tablespace datafile. When I do, I get this error message:
: >
: > ORA-01525: error in renaming data files
: > ORA-01121: cannot rename database file 1 - file is in use or recovery
: > ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u2/ORACLE/tele/dbs/systtele.dbf'
: >
: >I have tried this operation with the database mounted, but not open. This
: >fails because the database isn't open.

:
: Try:
:
: sql>alter tablespace System offline;
: sql>alter tablespace System
: rename datafile 'drive:\path\OldDataFile.dbf' to
: 'drive:\path\'NewDataFile.dbf'
:
:
: M.Landa
:

You cannot take the SYSTEM tablespace OFFLINE, see the SQL Lang Ref Man p 4.79: 'it prevents further access to its segments'; tricky when you need the data dictionary all the time.

I suspect that you are trying to use the ALTER TABLESPACE RENAME DATAFILE command when such changes to the SYSTEM tablespace require you to use the ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE command (ca. p 4-14 ibid).

The database should not be open when you do this, but offhand I don't remember whether it should be mounted or not.

--
Jonathan Lewis