renaming the system tablespace datafile

From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 15 Feb 1995 17:49:41 GMT

I have an ORACLE 7.0.x database running and am attempting to rename the system tablespace datafile. When I do, I get this error message:

	ORA-01525: error in renaming data files
	ORA-01121: cannot rename database file 1 - file is in use or recovery
	ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u2/ORACLE/tele/dbs/systtele.dbf'

I have tried this operation with the database mounted, but not open. This fails because the database isn't open. When I mount and open the database in exclusive mode, the operation fails with the above message.

I altered all users so that none have system as the default or temporary tablespace (except users SYS and SYSTEM which have system as the default).

I'm missing something!

Glenn Stauffer
DBA
Swarthmore College Received on Wed Feb 15 1995 - 18:49:41 CET

Original text of this message