Re: Seurity using stored procedures?

From: Dave Jordan <jordan_at_pt5026.pto.ford.com>
Date: 9 Feb 1995 13:18:02 GMT

Hans wrote:

>I wonder if it's possible to use stored procedures
>to create a layer that restricts read/write access for
>groups of tables and/or columns of tables.
>I'd like to give certain roles access to certain stored
>procedures.
>Is this a realistic idea or are there big obstacles
>(functionality, performance etc.)?

I suppose one problem is that you can't base a block in a form on a procedure. If you use procedures for your updates, you can't use normal SQL*Forms processing. You might be able to replace the update/delete processing with "ON" triggers, but that's getting to be a bit of work. It would be simpler to use views to restrict reads, as procedures can't return sets of rows.

David Jordan Received on Thu Feb 09 1995 - 14:18:02 CET

Original text of this message