Re: Seurity using stored procedures?

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 23:18:24 +0000

In article <3hd4ma$8h1_at_eccdb1.pms.ford.com>

           jordan_at_pt5026.pto.ford.com "Dave Jordan" writes:

: Hans wrote:
:
: >I wonder if it's possible to use stored procedures
: >to create a layer that restricts read/write access for
: >groups of tables and/or columns of tables.
:
: I suppose one problem is that you can't base a block in a form
: on a procedure. If you use procedures for your updates, you can't
: use normal SQL*Forms processing.

I've just been to an Oracle 7 SIG which featured a session on Oracle Applications 10, HR. I gather that they have implemented the following:

        Forms access views.

	Most processing (including insert, update, delete) is done
	through stored procedures (packages).

	The normal Forms processing IS bypassed:  they have written
	their own LOCK and COMMIT procedures.

An interesting benefit of this approach is that it lays the foundation of HR being ready for an API approach, and 3rd party tools handling the data in exactly the same way as HR does itself.

--
Jonathan Lewis