Re: DB2<--->NETWARE<--->ORACLE

From: Dave Dargo <ddargo_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 9 Feb 1995 06:02:52 GMT

bliff_at_.corp.sun.com (Randolph Hill) writes:

>VI am looking for a solution to the following problem. On the IBM
>ES9000 DB2 exists. On the Sun SS1000 there is an oracle data base.
>From the PC on the netware side, my customer wants to write
>a 4GL application that talks to both the Sun and DB2. Are there
>any packages that will allow this? For DB2, I would guess LU6.2 would be
>used.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>/?randy
>

> ------
> +---------+ / \ +--------+
> | IBM | / \ | Sun |
> | ES/9000 |---| Token |-----| SS1000 |
> +---------+ \ / | +----+
> \ / -- |---| PC |
> ------ \ +--------+ | +----+
> ---| File |------|
> | Server | |
> NetWare |
>.

Three solutions:

  1. Transparent Gateway for DB2 with SQL*Net. Both of these products reside on MVS. SQL*Net on MVS supports both TCP/IP and LU6.2. The PC client would connect to Oracle on the Sun SparcServer and issue all SQL requests to Oracle. Oracle will send the DB2 targeted SQL statements to DB2 on the ES/9000.
  2. Transparent Gateway for IBM DRDA provides the same SQL functionality as the Transparent Gateway for DB2. However it does not run on the ES/9000 platform. It is currently production on RS/6000 and HP/9000 with support for Solaris 2.x coming within the next few months.

Both Transparent Gateways allow distributed joins and updates between Oracle and DB2 (including two phase commit).

3) Procedural Gateway for APPC allows Oracle stored procedures to call APPC transactions located on the ES/9000. (For example CICS, IMS/TM, IDMS-DC or APPC/MVS). This would allow the client, through Oracle on the SparcServer, to call MVS based transactions that could read/write DB2 data.

Dave (ddargo_at_us.oracle.com) Received on Thu Feb 09 1995 - 07:02:52 CET

Original text of this message