Re: Very Large Database Support Inquiry...

From: Vipin Gokhale <vgokhale_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 9 Feb 1995 07:03:17 GMT

In article <finkel.154.00B45BF8_at_links.com>, finkel_at_links.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:
>In article <3h09lq$nh_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> finnert1_at_ix.netcom.com (Jim Finnerty) writes:
>>
>>Now that Oracle Rdb is included in the Oracle product set, there is
>>another answer. Historically Rdb's target market has bee VLDB's with
>>high availability and performance requirements, which is why Oracle Rdb
>>holds the world record for performance on the TPC-A benchmark at, if
>>memory serves, 3692 TPS. fwiw, that's *way* faster than the products
>>mentioned above.

>>If you need high availability and performance on a VLDB, you ought to
>>check out Oracle Rdb... you might be pleasantly surprized.

>> /jim (Oracle Rdb query optimizer)

>>Opinions expressed are purely my own.
>
>Hi Jim.
>
>I always like Rdb and use to recommend it. However, with the takeover I have
>not been recommending Rdb because of the uncertainty concerning its future. It
>seems improbable to me that Oracle will continue to fund the development of
>two distinctly different RDBMSs which essentially compete against each other.
>It does not seem like a good business model since there is twice the
>development, marketing, and sales costs without a similar expansion in market.
>For this reason I think that Oracle will slowly migrate its Rdb customer base
>into Oracle (there is no rush) and during the interim put minimal efforts into
>further development of Rdb capabilities. Any comments?

A prerequisite for such migration would have to be equivalent functionality and appropriate level of compatibility for existing applications. If I was looking for a database which provides me a certain set of features, I'm not sure if I ought to be concerned if the next release of that product also happens to incorporate connectivity/compatibility to another database engine, as long as the functionality I'm interested in still exists and is supported.

>Regards,
>
>Rich
>Richard Finkelstein
>Performance Computing, Inc.
>312-549-8325 (Voice)
>312-549-4824 (Fax)

Vipin Gokhale
DEC SBU
Oracle Corporation
Disclaimer:         Any opinions expressed here are mine and not that of
                    my employer.