Split COMP.DATABASES.ORACLE. Was: This group is too large !

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_phantom.trl.OZ.AU>
Date: 5 Feb 1995 01:59:13 GMT

In article <3ghapb$moq_at_kaiwan.kaiwan.com>, Larry Kruper <lak_at_kaiwan.com> writes:
> Any thoughts on creating subgroups for this group. I have difficulty
> with the volume posted here.
>
> This is not a criticism :)
>
> Larry Kruper

This thread seems to come up every month. There was a huge discusion/out cry about 10 months ago when it was proposed then. Since then the number of postings has increased significantly. Infact people that initially opposed the idea, changed their opinion.

Now before people start to get emotional and flood this newsgroup with folloups to this topic, may I suggest we approach this in a proper and democratic way thru RFD (request for discussion) and CFV (Call for votes). Since i am bias on this issue and am not too familiar with the process, is there some kind soul out there that would like to take on this little task.

If we were to split the group, may I suggest that we have a split that is similar or is a subset of the groups in the Oracle's forum on compuserve. They have 22 groups ie

     1 User Groups
     2 Mainframe
     3 Minicomputer & UNIX
     4 Desktop-PC,Mac,NLM
     5 RDBMS, SQL & PL/SQL
     6 Networking
     7 Oracle Tools
     8 Oracle App Products
     9 3GL Interfaces
     10 CASE/CDE/Forms
     11 3rd Party Products
     12 Admin & Performance
     13 Oracle Bookstore
     15 Classifieds
     16 News from Oracle
     17 IOUG (Members only)
     18 Oracle Resellers (private)
     20 Documentation
     21 Training
     22 SQL*Connects & ODBC

May I start by suggesting:

comp.databases.oracle.gen	(General Issues)
comp.databases.oracle.sql	(RDBMS, SQL, & PL/SQL)
comp.databases.oracle.dba/admin	(DBA & administrative issues)
comp.databases.oracle.unix
comp.databases.oracle.cde	(CDE products eg forms, graphics etc
comp.databases.oracle.appl	  (Application devel
comp.databases.oracle.classifieds (Jobs, product announement)
comp.databases.oracle.usergroups  (IOUG, local, national and international
usergroups)
comp.databases.oracle.performance (Database and system related performance issue)
comp.databases.oracle.networking (Netwoking V1 & V2 comp.databases.oracle.case (Oracle Case)

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ___ |Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /      |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)