Re: Oracle for Linux

From: dave <dave_at_alkham.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 1995 01:39:45 +0000

> SAM BUSINESS SYSTEMS LTD OFFERS FREE (NON COMMERCIAL) BUSINESS SYSTEMS!
> Would be nice, wouldn't it?
>
> In articl <791485763snz_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>, Paul Beardsell
> (psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> : ORACLE ANNOUNCES FREE (NON-COMMERCIAL) ORACLE LICENSES FOR LINUX
> : Well it would be nice wouldn't it? Has anybody heard of any
> : possibility of even non-free Oracle for Linux? Has anybody asked
> : Oracle? Anybody from Oracle care to comment...
> : --
> : Paul Beardsell SAM Business Systems Ltd
> Tod Kemper

The chances of this occurring are *TOTALLY* nonexistent. LINUX has the reputation of being a non-commercial operating system unlike the other 'big boys' of the Open O/S world like Dynix PTX, Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

And of course Oracle are 'marketeers' more than anything else. So they will be very, very closely targetting available R&D and porting resources to where the biggest bucks are going to be earnt ... and I think they're concentrating for the time being on object orientation (version 8), BLOBs, middleware, Windows integration, some horizontal marekt applications like Financials, Human Resources, etc.

What would they gain out of making this available for LINUX? There is a product called Personal Oracle which is supposed to be available now on trial for free to a limited clientele.

--
Dave