Re: Problems creating a form

From: Charles G. Margolin <cmargoli_at_world.nad.northrop.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 21:08:46 GMT

In article <3g8r6h$2c3_at_news.sas.ab.ca>, ravi_at_sas.ab.ca () writes:

|> Hello,
|>
|> I'm a novice user trying to create a form under sqlforms30 and
|> I keep running into the same problem. Everytime I try to use the
|> New option under Actions, I get:
|>
|> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
|>
|> The database I'm connected to is a very simple one that I created as a
|> learning exercise. I'm also confused as to why it should care if the
|> table or view doesn't exist if all I'm trying to do is specify a name for the
|> form I'm trying to create. I can't seem to find anything about this in the
|> documentation and there is no one else at our site that I can ask.
|>
|> Any enlightenment shone my way would be highly appreciated.
|>

|> Thanks in advance,
|>

|> Ravi Singh

This happened to me on one of our machines. I believe that the "table or view" referred to is one of the system tables that forms30 uses to store definitions of existing forms saved in the database, rather than your application table.

The remedy, other than repairing the installation of forms30, is to have a "skeleton" .inp file that you can copy, customize with a text editor, and then load with the "Load" menu option of forms30. That way you would never have to use the "New" menu option. This works if you have a sample .inp file to start with, and it assumes that you will not be saving form definitions in the database.

A skeleton .inp file would contain something like the following: (the empty line at the start is required)

--------- cut here ---------------------------------------------------

/* Copyright (c) 1988 by the Oracle Corporation */

SQL*FORMS_VERSION = 3.0.16.5.1
TERSE = ON
DEFINE FORM    NAME = formname
   TITLE = form title
   DEFAULT_MENU_APPLICATION = DEFAULT    DEFINE SCREEN    ENDDEFINE SCREEN ENDDEFINE FORM

--
Charles Margolin                  email: cmargoli_at_world.nad.northrop.com
Northrop Grumman Corporation      phone: (310)332-6011

Original text of this message