Re: IMPORT DATA

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 01:38:48 GMT

In article <b09-030195144351_at_macaux.nikhef.nl> b09_at_nikhef.nl (Jeroen Hermans) writes:
>Hello Everybody,
>
>During my vacation someone deleted a record from the database.
>Every night I make an full database export.
>I have a file fulldump from tape and the record is backed-up in this file.
>
>How can I retrieve only one record from one table from the fulldump.
>I can get no information from the "Utilities User's Guide" how to retrieve
>one record, I only get information about retrieving the entire table.
>
>Can someone help me?
>
>Jeroen Hermans
>b09_at_nikhef.nl

Not knowing which version of anything, or which computer, I'll assume you are on unix. Many unix have the "strings" command, which can yank out individual records from an export. So, if you happen to have an ascii key value 1234, you could say:
strings export.dmp |grep 1234 > hope_you_are_lucky.fil and then look at the file and see if the record you want is there.

(syntax from memory, I think that's right).

jg

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.