Re: I need a special SQL statement...

From: Saad Ahmad <sahmad_at_mfa.com>
Date: 6 Jan 1995 03:13:27 GMT

MDNatale (mdnatale_at_aol.com) wrote:
> I am developing an application that interfaces with a rather large oracle
> database. I have the need to query the top 25 values, and the low 25
> values. I know how to sort my data using 'order by', but how do I make it
> stop querying after the 25 values are recieved?

Using PRO C, declare an array of 25 then EXEC SQL
   SELECT fld_name
   INTO array_of_25
   FROM table_name
   ORDER BY <you know how to get it?>

(Similar for bottom 25)
[Would raise an exception but thats ok, you would get the right result,  or you could say EXEC ORACLE SELECT_ERROR=NO)

Plain SQL
SELECT fld_name
FROM table_name
WHERE fld_name > ' ' -- would force the use of index (and there must be

                                                 an index to get order)
       AND  rownum <= 25

[similar for bottom 25 but remember the indexes]

*                          Saad Ahmad                        *
*                          E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com            *