Re: Oracle support: we give up

From: Anne Stephens <astephen_at_oracle.com>
Date: 6 Jan 1995 19:23:55 GMT

>>In article <D17u2H.oFr_at_pen.k12.va.us> epperson_at_pen.k12.va.us (W. C. Epperson)
>>writes:
>>Our attempts to upgrade from 6.0.36 to 6.0.37 in order to maintain V6 support
>>while we plan our V7 migration have been futile. Oracle Support has been less
>>than worthless through the entire effort, which is typical of our experience
>>with their service offerings. We currently find that although SQLdba and
>>SQLPlus recognize and use the connect string in the TWO_TASK environment
>>variable, the other tools do not. We got to this point of buggy functionality
>>only by hacking our way through install scripts and makefiles with syntax
>>errors and brain-dead logic ("chmod 644 $file;./$file").
>
>What! Are you actually trying to use oracle's install scripts? Don't do that;
>they never work. You have to reverse engineer the whole thing and create your
>own install scripts (you can have a working V6 database that takes up
>about 10MB disk space (plus database) for the /usr/oracle directory).
>
>My favorite one is when installing Oracle V7.1.3 on AIX (sucks) from a CD,
>Oracle's install script tries to create temporary files on the CD!

With respect to 7.1.3 CD-ROM on AIX the only scenario I can think of where the installer would try to write to the CD-ROM is if the user doesn't read the docs and tries to run orainst directly off the CD-ROM. In this case orainst would attempt to write 'rootpre.tmp' in the current working directory, which is of course the CD_ROM (Don't worry it's fixed in 7.1.4). Does this sound familiar? If it doesn't let me know what the problem was and I'll see if I can get it fixed by the appropriate persons.

[Stuff deleted]

>>W.C. Epperson "These are my opinions and not those of
>>Sr. SE the Virginia Department of Education."
>>Va. Dept. of Ed.

>Keith Peterson | The problem with the "School of | kp_at_mdi.gwinnett.com
>Majure Data, Inc | Hard Knocks" is that you get the | Voice (404) 587-1031
>993 Mansell Road | final exam first and afterward | Fax (404) 594-9224
>Roswell, GA | learn what the course is all about. | Info (404) 555-1212

  ______________  "Don't suspect a friend.  Report him"  _____________________
Anne Therese C. Stephens  			astephen_at_us.oracle.com
Power Products Division,
Open Systems Division
Product and Platform Technologies Division	Not Oracle's opinions, but mine.
Product Division

Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Jan 06 1995 - 20:23:55 CET

Original text of this message