ODBC Memory Leak

From: Orest M. Demkiw <orest_at_merak.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:20:46 +1000

We have an application that is used by one of our clients that uses an ODBC connection to an Oracle 6 database on a Sun server. The VB application establishes a connection to the Oracle database using Microsoft's ODBC drivers and Oracle's SQL*Net. After the connection is established a number of sql queries (21 queries to be exact) are performed for an oil well identifier and the data is retrieved. This process is repeated many times based upon the number of oil well identifiers in a list (as many as 1000 wells). Because of the volume and nature of the data being retrieved the 21 queries per well need to be processed one well at a time rather than using an "in list" type SQL query for the the well identifier list.

PROBLEM: After about 75 to 100 wells have been processed the system begins to slow dramatically as it thrashes with swapping since there is a loss of memory after each well is processed. I have been searching around on Microsoft's FTP site and it appears there is some problem with memory leak on establishing and breaking ODBC connections to the Oracle DB. I have watched memory resources dwindle away with HP dashboard as each well is processed.

The latest version of ODBC.DLL that I have tried is 1.05.1324. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Am I looking in the wrong place -- is it something other than ODBC drivers? Does anybody have a work around or solution?

NOTE: We have other queries using the same ODBC connection process that pass vast amounts of data, but do not repeatedly break the connection and they work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Orest Demkiw
System Consultant
Merak and Associates
Calgary, AB Received on Thu Jan 05 1995 - 01:20:46 CET

Original text of this message