Re: Table and its view

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_pebbles.uswnvg.com>
Date: 4 Jan 1995 20:18:36 GMT

"desc" does not mean that you can't describe a view. It will treat a view
exactly like a table.

"quarter_view" can still be a view of "quarter". Remember, views can have
"where" caluse to limit the number of rows in the view and, thus, the
difference in number of records.

The only sure way to find out which is a view and which is a table is to look at the ORACLE's system table. I forget which table contains all the objects in your database. I know that "all_tables" contains all the tables in the database that you can access and "all_views" contains the view. Use the signon with DBA priviledge to see all the tables/views (or use SYSTEM).

By the way you can even see how a view is created by looking at "text" column of "all_views". Set your long to a large value before you do this. I usually use the command "set long = 8000" before I "select" the text column.

Have fun. (read the manuals and go to ORACLE training for DBAs)

 (Whatever I say and own are mine, mine and only mine! So, don't you dare   claim they are yours!)
 Kim Ng
 Paradigm Computer Consulting, Inc.
 20611 E Bothell-Everett Hwy SE, Suite 280  Bothell, WA 98012
 U.S.A. Received on Wed Jan 04 1995 - 21:18:36 CET

Original text of this message