Table and its view

From: Moorthy N. Rekapalli <moorthy_at_eng.auburn.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 07:46:50 GMT

Hello Everyone,

        I have a table named "quarter". I also have another table named "quarter_view". When I describe them,

SQL> desc quarter;
SQL> desc quarter_view;

both of them are showing the same attributes (I mean columns). These two tables were created by my predecessor and I am doing that job now. Initially, I thought quarter is the table and quarter_view is view of quarter. But, they are not showing the same number of records. But, when I add a record into quarter_view, the count is automatically increasing in quarter also. Please see the following for an example.

Initially, I did this.

SQL> select count(*) from quarter_view;

  COUNT(*)

      2835

SQL> select count(*) from quarter;

  COUNT(*)

      3972

After adding a record in quarter_view, both rows in quarter_view and quarter are increased by one as shown below:

SQL> select count(*) from quarter_view;

  COUNT(*)

      2836 -- initially it was 2835

SQL> select count(*) from quarter;

  COUNT(*)

      3973 -- initially it was 3972

  1. If quarter_view is a view of quarter, then it should show the same number of rows always.
  2. If quarter_view is NOT a view of the quarter, it should not increase the count in quarter automatically.

        Please let me know what could be the problem.

        THANKS IN ADVANCE. Moorthy
(moorthy_at_eng.auburn.edu)

---
:=)  Do unto others as you would wish to be done by others.  :=)