Re: faster than SQLLOADER

From: Alex Long <paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 1995 00:57:30 GMT

In article <3e3uhb$1q8_at_portal.gmu.edu>, Mohammed Ghouse (mghous1_at_mason1.gmu.edu) writes:
>Is there any other method to load 3 million records of 100 reclength
>into a table already having 60 million records. We need to have an
>index of a key of length 17. What I need is a method
>
>1. Which is faster than SQL loader with DIRECT PATH
>2. with less space requirment (speed is more imporatant)
>
>3. Dropping and recreating of index can be considered if there is an
>advantage.

Hi Mohammed,

Asides from any other questions about loader, etc. just a reminder.

When you are importing dasta, eithewr through SQL*PLus script, Loader or whatever, it is always good practice to drop the index for a large update.

In many cases it is quicker to drop index, do the update, re-create the index, then it is to do the update with the indexes in place, because the RDBMS will have to update the index for every row inserted.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Alex Long
paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au Received on Mon Jan 02 1995 - 01:57:30 CET

Original text of this message