Re: SQL vs ProC

From: Bob Stewart <bob_at_musem.earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Dec 1994 02:36:53 GMT

Mike Eggleston (mikee_at_sys8.wfc.com) wrote:
: You'll get better performance by making sure that your database,
: tables and indexes are designed correctly. I have not seen any
: reasonable speed improvements using embedded SQL, but you can get some
: performance increases by using the OCI calls (which I think is what
: Pro*C is).

I agree with Mike. 30,000 records is really pretty small. As an example, I have a similarly small test db, about 100k records at initial load. When I update these records I get about 330 updates per minute on a 486/66 machine. If I neglect to index the records, I get about one or two updates (if that) per minute.

As to speed improvements with Pro*C. If you are using PL/SQL, you will probably see an improvement, due to the fact the PL/SQL is not a compiled language. However, this improvement would only relate to any calculations you were doing to prepare the data, not to the data updates themselves.

One of my customers has a 16 million row db (RS/6000), and gets 20-30 second responses to Data Browser generated queries; on properly stated, and appropriately indexed queries. Bad queries to the same tables take 30 minutes or more, if they return at all.

Cheers.

--
Bob Stewart (KB9ZW)
wk USA (310) 335-7152